Monday, June 23, 2014

Chicken Enchilada Soup: Substitution Tragedy Edition



Yes, we've seen this before. Chicken Enchilada Soup is a fairly regular meal around here. Especially because corn tortillas tend to come in large bags and they're not our favorite (compared to flour tortillas which are basically candy).

I got halfway through this recipe, when I found I didn't have as much enchilada sauce in the pantry as I'd thought. I had a variety of hot peppers around, so I figured I could just make some. Unfortunately, I didn't think one of those peppers was really a habanero --it was-- so even the red bell pepper I cut up after it was pretty spicy. I tried blending it in E!s smoothie blender, but it was so hot, it melted through the bottom, and started running out the bottom of the jar, through the motor (Or maybe the seal in the cheap blender had dried out over the winter, but I like saying it was too hot to handle, like E!).

RIP smoothie blender
The soup came out spicier than Elizabeth prefers, but was still delicious, and it was a good excuse to add extra cheese and sour cream analogue (plain yogurt has replaced sour cream and mayo in most of our cooking).


No comments: